x86-64 with lib and lib64

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon Jan 26 16:59:00 GMT 2004

Roman Duka wrote:
> i don't think gcc needs --with-sysroot if you have all you cross
> libraries in your target install directory under lib, lib64 and NOT
> split into lib and us/lib, lib64 and usr/lib64, only binutils needs
> --with-sysroot for correct operation (i think).

I agree, but once I was forced to use it for binutils, I figured I'd
use it for gcc as well; I've been wanting to for a year, since
it's supposedly the way to achieve a fully relocatable toolchain
(one which doesn't have any absolute paths hardcoded into its
binaries).

> i abandoned my idea of
> having cross glibc libraris installed unger lib, usr/lib etc, it seems
> to cause problems

I went through with it, and it seems to work, as long as you're
using --with-sysroot.  Try building an x86_64 gcc-3.3-20040112 toolchain
with crosstool-0.26, you'll see what I did.

> i was trying to build x86_64 toolchain on my x86 machine, which was
> capable of producing 32 AND 64 bit binaries, in order to do this you
> need to enable --enable-multilib for gcc (which is usually enable by
> default) this will create and extra "32" directory in the gcc libdir,
> which will contain 32 bin startup files etc. The only trick to achieving
> this is to copy your 32 bit glibc libraries (which you could find under
> your systems /lib, /usr/lib) to the 32 bit library directory under your
> target install directory, i.e. prefix/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib. You
> need to copy the 32 bit libraries BEFORE you attempt to compile the
> final cross gcc, or you'll error message about missing crti.o files and
> incompatible glibc.so.6 libraries, this is because the final cross gcc
> needs 32 bit libraries under prefix/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib (or
> whatever you prefix/target name is) to compile its 32 bit startup files.

I haven't tried that yet, but I think I'll have to before too long.
I have a feeling people will expect the -m32 option to work on toolchains
compiled with crosstool.