dynamical linking?

Daniel Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Jan 13 21:48:00 GMT 2004

Greg Herlein wrote:
>>BTW I usually set the result to end up in /opt/crosstool,
>>but that shouldn't matter too much.  Just in case, here's how I build:
>
> Whats the relationship of that, and the common install directory
> of /usr/<arch> ???

No idea... probably they're similar, but I use /opt/crosstool so
I don't step on anything in /usr.

> And, perhaps related, how do I configure the default place that
> ld looks for share libraries so that I don't have to use -rpath
> and -rpath-link to find them?  There *must* be a way to globally
> set this so that "when compiling and linking for target X, use
> these directories for finding libs."

I never use -rpath or -rpath-link, but then, I'm usually
doing embedded work where I copy all the libraries to /lib on the target.

When I build libraries that are meant to be generally
used, I just install them right in /opt/crosstool/$target/$toolcombo/$target/lib,
and they get found by default.  Or I use -L.
Either way, I then have to either copy them to /lib on the target platform
and/or add the directories holding the shared libraris to /etc/ld.so.conf.

In crosstool-0.26, that path might change to
/opt/crosstool/$target/$toolcombo/$target/sys-root/lib or .../usr/lib,
but the idea is the same.
- Dan