Toolchain recomendation ?

Robert Schwebel robert@schwebel.de
Mon Dec 20 07:42:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:08:39PM -0200, Claudio wrote:
> I need a toolchain for an ARM720T chip (little endian, no hardware FPU)
> to compile Linux kernels 2.4.28, 2.6.8 and user applications.
>
> I intend to use crosstool to generate the toolchain and would
> prefer to use the more recent versions of binutils, gcc and
> glibc, but stability and reliability are more important.
>
> What versions of binutils, gcc and glibc do you recommend
> for my configuration ?

The softfloat crosschains from crosstool are known to work; we currently
use gcc-3.3.3 and glibc 2.3.2 with binutils 2.14 which is known to be
stable. You can easily play with the parameters if you try PTXdist;
building the above toolchain is something like

	make toolchain_arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-3.3.3_glibc_2.3.2_config
	make world

and if you want to try out other versions just 'make menuconfig' and
change to something different. PTXdist uses crosstool to actually build
the toolchains.

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4