Arm cross compiler - problems

Yves Rutschle y.rutschle@indigovision.com
Tue Apr 13 14:08:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 05:38:09AM -0700, kripa shankar wrote:
>  arm-linux-gcc -o test.arm test.c
>
>  The size of the test.arm file is 949567 bytes. when

Hmm that looks strangely large for a dynamic executable.

Start by stripping it (we all love stripping):

arm-linux-strip test.arm

Also, what tool versions are you using? (arm-linux-gcc -v
and arm-linux-as -v)?

>  1. why is the code bloating happening here???

The code size itself is most probably down to a bunch of
debug stuff that'll go away when stripping. The 19000
instructions would probably be huge chunks of Glibc start-up
code, which leads us to:

>  2. The problem may be that the arm-linux-gcc loads
>  all
>  its libraries in the output binary file. so is there
>  any option to compile a program with arm cross
>  compiler without loading all the libraries???

Most embedded people out there usually give up on Glibc for
the very reason of size, and use uClibc (www.uclibc.org) or
Dietlibc (referenced somewhere off the uClibc site) instead,
which achieve much, much much much smaller sizes.

Good luck,
Y.