adding crosstool support for building a statically-linked cross toolchain

Marius Groeger mgroeger@sysgo.com
Thu Apr 1 07:20:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Ken Wolcott wrote:

>   Perhaps I'm the only one who wants/needs crosstool to provide a
> statically linked cross toolchain, but, thanks to you and others who are
> very bright and helpful, I have made such modifications to crosstool.

I don't know your environment, and I also don't know your reasons for
wanting a static toolchain. But are you aware that -- at least on a
Linux system -- it is *really* hard to get things completely static
and self-contained? For once, there are the glibc nsswitch
implications (glibc contains direct calls to dlopen() which are not
resolved with -statcic. You need static nsswitch libraries for this.)
Probably this should not be propblem for a toolchain, though, as this
stuff is unlikely to call gethostbyname() etc. Then again, I didn't
check this, and wouldn't bet on it.

The next thing to watch out for is the NLS stuff. Be sure to throw
--disable-nls whereever possible. Also watch out for glibc's string
fuctions like strerror(), which like to translate things. This is a
particularly mean trap, as from the point of view of someone working
in an English environment, this issue never arises. (AKA "What are you
doing, it just works fine here?!").

Again, this is just a well-meant warning -- I don't know your reasons
for static linking.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>           Project Manager
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software