Help with Crosstool v2.4 MIPS

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Sep 30 21:09:00 GMT 2003

Paul Medlon wrote:
> Thanks for help, Dan. 2.12.90.0.7 compiled okay.
>
> However I am having a problem vmlinux size. When I
> used a downloaded toolchain to build my linux, vmlinux
> size is 5MB; with the new toolchain, vmlinux size is
> 15MB.

I've seen vmlinux get bloated because of debug info being
left in.  I also know that newer toolchains sometimes leave
extra debugging (?) info in the binary even when you don't
expect it.  Stripping the binary using $TARGET-strip usually
fixes it.  However, that's all for normal excutables;
it might be a bit different for kernels.  You can try running
$TARGET-strip on vmlinux, though.

> What should I do to have a toolchain that build the
> smaller kernel size? (I heard 1.5MB is typical). Using
> mips-linux-size, it shows only ~1.5MB only. Please
> advise.

Ah, size reports the size *after* stripping.  So mips-linux-strip vmlinux
will probably do the trick.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel