PATH in Dan Kegel's script crosstool.sh

Dan Kegel dkegel@ixiacom.com
Wed Sep 24 18:47:00 GMT 2003

Michael LeBlanc wrote:
> In Dan's crosstool.sh there is
>
>    69  # make sure the build product's binaries are in the search path
>    70  PATH="${PREFIX}/bin:${PATH}"
>    71  export PATH
>
> When I run it, PREFIX becomes, for example, the following:
>
>    /somewhere/result/powerpc-mike-linux-gnualtivec/gcc-3.3-glibc-2.3.2
>
> In bin/ under there, I find powerpc-mike-linux-gnualtivec-gcc and all
> the other executables with names powerpc-mike-linux-gnualtivec-*.
> Are they used by those names in the scripts and Makefiles?

Yes.

> Shouldn't line 70 read like this?
>
>    PATH="${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/bin:${PATH}"

Nope.

> Now "gcc" will resolve to the build's gcc.

Yes, and that would be bad.  You still need gcc to resolve to the
build machine's gcc.   Gnu packages, at least those that use autoconf,
default to searching the path for ${TARGET}-gcc when they need
a cross-compiler.

I should add that I did not invent this path-setting business;
all the gcc build scripts before me did this, too.
- Dan