Output file size?

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Thu Sep 18 13:03:00 GMT 2003

Another "nice-to-have" (not a requirement) for my cross-compilation
project, is support for a really old (but still in use) revision of our
hardware that has only 64k of memory. Unfortunately, the size of my
application is about 80k in stripped binary format when generated with
m68k-coff-gcc, while the old setup (Microware CC on OS-9) generated a
file smaller than 50k from the same source (well, nearly the same; I had
to make changes to be able compile it with gcc.)

Any idea why gcc's output is that much larger? Is there any way I can
reduce the size? Note that -Os helps a bit, but I suspect that it
actually destroys the code (asm() isn't handled correctly.)

- Toralf