Building for custom SH (was: Building for custom 68k or ColdFire board without OS?)

Fery engard.ferenc@innomed.hu
Wed Sep 17 15:48:00 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have read the thread about the custom 68k, and have some questions
about this topic, just another hardware.

We are building a custom (Renesas SH processor based) hardware, where
our program will not use any separate OS.

I have downloaded and installed KPIT's binary cygwin->SH cross-compiler
(with newlib) (v3.0.2), and it looks good.

Recently I have successfully compiled with gcc and run programs for the
H8 platform, so I know how to write my own linker script and start.s to
execute a standalone program.

Now, on this bigger project it would be great if I could use the newlib
and libstdc++ libraries, but I do not know how to start. What tasks have
to be done to use these libraries on a custom hardware, without any OS?

- I suppose, I have to provide my own linker script (based on what is
provided for my processor platform).

- What I have to do to use malloc()?

- What I have to do to use stdio functions? It is not really needed,
it's enough if I have sprintf. :) (Just like for Mark Powell, the IO
channels would be mainly serial ports, for debugging, and, maybe there
will be network sockets, too.)

- What I have to do to use STL?

Our program we will have some kind of multitasking, or, more precisely,
multithreading. I suppose I have to provide an interface to these libs
for locking. What about this? Also, I will not have a filesystem. How
can I use stdio functions without it?

Is there a tutorial, separate mailing list, or other documentation about
this topic? The newlib and the libstdc++ is too big just to start
looking into the source.

Thanks a lot:
Ferenc Engard