DragonBall i.MX (MC9328) vs ColdFire

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Mon Sep 15 14:43:00 GMT 2003

As I mentioned earlier, we are in the process of designing a replacement
for a custom, MC68010  based I/O board. We plan to use a GCC cross
compiler setup to build the software for the new system (we have used a
different environment in the past, but I'm porting the existing code
right now.) We want to reuse as much as possible of the existing
software on the new plaform. The code is written mostly in K&R C, but
with some routines  in assembler. There is no real OS on the existing
unit; the new one may or may not have one.

We are currently trying to select a processor for the new unit. We have
narrowed down the choise to two models, both from Motorola:

   1. "DragonBall" MC9328 (ARM based)
   2. "ColdFire" MCF5282 (I think, but I'm not 100% sure about the exact
      model number.)

Which one of these would you people out there recommend? Note that both
meet our requirements to CPU features, so our main concern is the
porting/development support and general ease-of-use. The lifecycle of
the unit also needs to be considered, though (it has been suggested to
us that the ARM based series is likely to last longer than the ColdFire.)
--
- Toralf