Building for custom 68k or ColdFire board without OS?

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Thu Sep 11 11:40:00 GMT 2003

Mark Powell wrote:

> We use the development environment you are proposing and it works
> extremely well.

Sounds good.

Do you use the assembler at all? How well does it work?

The thing is, I actually tried to set up a gcc cross compiler once
before, but it didn't quite work out right, and one of the problems was
that the assembler (gas) had somewhat limited functionality. I think I
followed the wrong track back then, though, as I tried to create a setup
that would read and write OS-9 format objects and libs, so that I might
use the existing clib etc., and also support some legacy OS-9 software.
Because of that, I started off with a distribution with partial OS-9
support that was based on a fairly old (2.6 or so) gcc version. The fact
that the gcc was so old may have contributed to the problems, and I
think now that building new libs and updating the loader for a new exec
format is probably easier than tweaking gcc to work with the old
environment (and I don't really care about the OS-9 apps; they are more
or less obsolete anyway.)

> I built a cross tool-chain that supports the m68k family and ColdFire
> (I built it on Intel/Linux, Sparc/Solaris and HPUX hosts) and used
> that to compile newlib (http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/). Newlib has
> separate C and math libs.

So newlib, not glibc or similar, is the thing to use for embedded systems?

> I wrote some low-level routines (in C) that newlib calls to do serial
> port i/o to the UART

Would that be routines to read or write one character? I have those
allready...

> and voila we had printf, getchar, scanf etc on a TTY console.

How about "cstart"?

> I then extended the serial i/o driver to use interupts and buffer
> characters and this provides a sort of background i/o capability for
> diagnostic menus on the TTY console.
>
> The only thing is, it's not packaged up with an idiots guide that
> requires no previous knowledge. You should expect to understand the
> workings of the toolset and how to generate ROMs etc.

I am at least quite familiar with gcc, and I know how to load the code
onto the current hardware (although I may have to research the new
output format a bit.)

- Toralf