failure building gcc-3.3 (broken libiberty/vsprintf.c or build?)

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@luukku.com
Tue May 20 10:44:00 GMT 2003

Erik Christiansen wrote:

>    Is there something sytematically wrong with libiberty? Building the
>    latest snapshot (gcc-core-20030512) for avr also breaks on libiberty.
>    make install has makefile rule problems:
>
>    gcc -c   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_COMPILE  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
>    -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic
>    -Wno-long-long   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE    -I. -I.
>    -I../../gcc -I../../gcc/. -I../../gcc/config -I../../gcc/../include
>    ../../gcc/gengenrtl.c -o gengenrtl.o
>    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../libiberty/libiberty.a',
>    needed by `gengenrtl'.  Stop.

  I just built several GCCs from the same snapshot and in every case the
build-libiberty was produced ok. My build system was RedHat 7.1 with 7.2
and 7.3 stuff used as the update material...  So you should double-check
the '$build/libiberty' subdir, look at the 'config.log' for any possible
failure, do a 'make distclean' there, try to reconfigure only there and
then try to rebuild. Without the 'config.log' it is hard to tell what
went wrong....

>    In this case, the configure step warned:
>
>    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>    checking target system type... avr-unknown-none
>    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>    *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-libiberty
>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)

  Despite of this, the 'libiberty.a's for the 'host' (and 'build' in
Canadian Crosses, gcc-3.2.x had a serious bug here) system should be
produced...

Cheers, Kai