SV: Problems with arm-elf with soft-float

Richard Earnshaw rearnsha@arm.com
Tue May 6 17:49:00 GMT 2003

> > This is an object file marking bug.  An arm-elf-gcc compiler
> > is soft-float
> > by default, but objects compiled with the default options are
> > effectively
> > marked by the assembler as being hard-float (since not-marked
> > is identical
> > to hard-float).  The best solution is to drop -msoft-float from your
> > compilation options -- it won't alter the code you get.
> >
> > R.
>
> Ah!
>
> Some questions:
>
> - has this been reported (or fixed) for GCC 3.3?

I don't think it's going to be fixed, at least, not in the short term.
There's no easy way of fixing it (short of removing the check altogether)
without breaking somebody's existing library of code.

> - slightly related: I need the interwork code, and I
> had to modify the t-arm-elf file to enable those libgcc.a
> permutations. Is this the proper way to do it?

Just uncomment the relevant lines in the config spec, then reconfigure,
build and install your compiler

> If modifying t-arm-elf is required, I'm a bit unsure what
> --enable-interwork does.

Interworking code will use call and return sequences of instructions that
are, or can easily be patched to allow calling from and returning
functions that run in ARM state to functions that run in Thumb state (and
vie-versa).

R.