Precisions on arm-elf toolchain build : once and for all !

Vincent Rubiolo vincent.rubiolo@st.com
Thu Jun 12 14:54:00 GMT 2003

Hello to you all,

Sorry to flood the ml with another question like this but I could not find any docs nor explanation
for that so I post it here.

About a month ago, the build for my arm-elf toolchain was successful. However, I could not succeed
building it following Bill Gatliff's instructions. These were:

1. configure and make install binutils
2. configure gcc with C only enabled, with --with-newlib and --without-headers options and make
all-gcc install-gcc
3. configure and make install newlib
4. return to gcc build dir, clean everything and reconfigure, this time with all languages enabled
5. make all-gcc install-gcc

Instead, I followed Richard Earnshaw instructions (succeeded)
1. Same thing
2. Configure with --with-newlib, enable all languages and pass
--with-headers=PATH_OF_NEWLIB/newlib/libc/include options
3. Same stuff
4. Return to gcc build dir and build the stuff left: make all-gcc install-gcc __WITHOUT__ reconfiguring

So my question is: why did the first build failed whereas the second succeeded (was gcc 3.2.3 at
that time)? That would be nice to have sb explaining that once and for all.

Thanks a lot,

Vincent