Problem building powerpc cross - array too large?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Tue Jan 28 19:17:00 GMT 2003

John Breen wrote:

> OK, I have an important clue here...
>
> Before I tried to build the ppc cross-compiler, I built a native gcc-3.2.1
> compiler (hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20).  I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it
> seemed to work OK on the small tests I did (and for compiling the ppc
> binutils).
>
> Just for grins, I defined CC to point to the old (gcc-2.95.2) native
> compiler.  The cross-compiler built just fine.  I tried gcc-3.2.1 again (not
> changing the command line, just undefining CC), and it died with the same
> "array too large" error.  So it has something to do with the 3.2.1 native
> compiler.
>
> Have any of you used native gcc 3.2.1 to build a ppc 3.2.1 cross-compiler?

I do this all the time for a wide variety of cross targets (rtems and
non-rtems) and it works from a Linux host.  Perhaps you have tripped
across an hppa specific gcc bug.  Write up a summary and email it
to the hppa gcc maintainer and see if it looks familiar to him.