more about the external target headers/libraries issue

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Sat Jan 11 05:19:00 GMT 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:

> William A. Gatliff wrote:
> > Dan:
> >

> >>I think such packages already exist: it's the union of glibc, binutils, and gcc.
> >>All that's missing is the ueber-build directory and/or
> >>the build-it-all script.
> >

> > But where would we get header files for it?
>
> Oh, you'd need to supply a set
> of kernel headers, too.  But those come
> straight from the kernel source.  Anything
> else the build script should generate
> from the gnu source (gcc/glibc/binutils/etc).

But many targets don't use glibc.  Many use newlib and others use yet
other
C libraries.  I recall avr and msp430 having their own C libraries and
it
is pretty clear at this point that the TI C3x/4x ports will have to have
custom libm's to be any good.  So you will be shippng some huge,
inordinately
complicated set of source.  I know it is a pain but there is no real
easy solution.  Building the Linux kernel is different from building
RTEMS or eCOS or a non-OS environment like m68k-elf.

I have been using GNU tools cross since about 1991 and it is easier now
but
that is no great consolation.

FWIW I believe that each environment needs a
maintainer/distributor/integrator
to shepherd it.  I do that for RTEMS and have been building RPMs for
many
non-RTOS embedded environments.  That helps a lot of people out.

> - Dan
>
> --
> Dan Kegel
> Linux User #78045
> http://www.kegel.com
>
> ------
> Want more information?  See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985