Problems Making gcc (for sh-elf) under cygwin

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sat Jan 4 21:13:00 GMT 2003

ABAZ wrote:
>>Heh.  Try applying the patch at
>>
>>http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-03/msg01388.html
>

> Thanks.  How do you do that? (I'm a bit new to gcc).

Better read up a bit on 'patch' (and diff).
"man patch" will tell you a bit.
http://www.gnu.org/manual/diffutils-2.7/html_chapter/diff_10.html#SEC60
will tell you a bit more.
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lfs/html/chapter05/gcc.html has one example
of patching gcc.

Basically, you look at the patch, count the number of slashes
in the filenames that you don't care about (let's say it's 2),
then do
   patch -p2 < whatever.patch

Be careful when saving the message as a patch to preserve
whitespace exactly.  Copy-and-paste isn't good enough.
I'm attaching the exact copy of the patch I use;
it's very slightly different from the one I linked to,
but not in a very interesting way (I probably stripped
off a prefix from the pathnames).

--
Dan Kegel
Linux User #78045