mipsel gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.5 error: Configure requires bash

Roman Duka rduka@mail.ru
Sat Dec 20 23:29:00 GMT 2003

John L.Utz III wrote:
> Hi Roman;
>
> At Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:06:57 +0000,
> Roman Duka <rduka@mail.ru> wrote:
>
>>John L.Utz III wrote:
>>
>>>Hi;
>>>
>>>at work i use linux, at home i use freebsd.
>>>
>>>i succesfully built  x86 gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.5 on freebsd
>>>
>>>i am trying to build mipsel gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.5 but i get the following
>>>error that i *didnt* get with x86
>>>

>>>+ gmake ARCH=mips oldconfig
>>>rm -f include/asm
>>>( cd include ; ln -sf asm-mips asm)
>>>sh scripts/Configure -d arch/mips/config.in
>>>Configure requires bash
>>>gmake: *** [oldconfig] Error 1
>>>

>>>what's weird is that i am using bash, and i set this env variable based on
>>>some src grepping
>>>
>>>CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
>>>
>>>but it didnt help.
>>>
>>>any suggestions?
>>>
>>>tnx!
>>>
>>>johnu
>>>

>>maybe you should be running bash, or setting SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
>>or something like that
>

> :-)
>
> I *am* running bash:
>
> bash-2.05a$ echo $SHELL
> /usr/local/bin/bash

i know what the problem is, look at your error message:

sh scripts/Configure -d arch/mips/config.in
 >>>Configure requires bash
 >>>gmake: *** [oldconfig] Error 1

it uses command "sh" to execute script called "Configure" which is
located under directory "scripts"
so what we need to do is check out that script and see what it does:

athlon1000:~/boot/linux-2.4.20 # cat scripts/Configure | grep "requires
bash"
[ -z "$BASH" ] && { echo "Configure requires bash" 1>&2; exit 1; }
athlon1000:~/boot/linux-2.4.20 #

so as you can see grep found a line in that script which tests for BASH
environment variable, and if it's set to zero, it outputs and error
mesage, saying "Configure requires bash"
so my guess is running "export BASH=/usr/local/bin/bash" just before you
run your crosstool scripts, should fix the problem, give it a try :-)