from gdb on a Mac to BDM on a 68332?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Tue Sep 17 12:46:00 GMT 2002

David Knuth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've built a gcc cross-compiler on Darwin (Mac OS X) and am now looking
> for a way to do cross-debugging from gdb to a 68332 target via BDM.
> There are a number of hurdles here.
>
> 1) Has anyone done this from Mac OS X?
> 2) How do I configure gdb to use a USB port (late Mac's have only USB
> and FireWire ports)?
> 3) Will I likely have to develop my own USB drivers (IOKit?)?
> 4) Do I have to build a custom USB <-> BDM device?  Are there any
> commercial ones available?
> 5) Should I instead use a USB <-> RS232 converter and then something
> from RS-232 <-> BDM?  What?

There is this which might work for you:

http://www.bdmtools.com/bdm-usb.htm

But they don't list Mac support.

Just off the top of my head, I would have tought that a parallel port
BDM combined with a USB parallel port adapter would come close to
doing the trick.  Then I read this URL

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_printer_cable.htm

which states "USB to parallel port converters are for
printers only! All-in-one units (printer/fax/scanner) or scanners, zip
drives, etc. will not work with any USB to parallel port converter
currently
available."

Hopefully that's a marketing claim but my VERY quick search didn't come
up with
UCB to parallel adapter that claimed support for anything except
printers.

If you solved that minor <sarcastic grin> problem, you should be able to
trick any parallel port device into working.