darwin->arm-linux

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@luukku.com
Thu Oct 10 09:05:00 GMT 2002

nik gaffney <nik@f0.am> wrote:

> ive been trying to build a toolchain for arm-linux hosted on osX 10.2.
> after a certain amount of messing around, its got quite stuck with making
> glibc.
>
> ive managed to build a working toolchain from the same componets, on a
> powerpc-linuc host.

 Just being curious...

 If this is true, why you try to build glibc again for the same
target?

 Is your aim "to build a toolchain for arm-linux hosted on osX 10.2",
ie. the results are not important but that the build succeeds is...
Or "to get a toolchain for arm-linux hosted on osX 10.2", ie.
building again the already got parts is not necessary...

> many of the same patches are required, but it seems there
> are a few osX specific problems.
> so im wondering if anyone has managed this (or has any hints?),
>   or am i stumbling down a blind alley?

 I just wanted to be sure that you understand that you really
don't need to rebuild a already built glibc (on Linux/PPC as
you told), but can simply copy it to the 'secondary' host. In
this respect you are not in a blind alley... If you only will
get the OS X hosted binutils and GCC for 'arm-linux', then you
will get the toolchain...

 But if the build on OS X succeeding is the main goal, then
maybe some OS X specific maillist would be better... just as
the Cygwin-maillist could be for those who have problems with
the Windoze as the build platform.

 For me a more important issue would be how on earth one gets
a Linux-x-MacOS-X cross-toolchain with the 'Mach-O' target
format binutils... Then one wouldn't need an Apple-system for
building some OS X hosted cross-tools, on Linux, Solaris2 (or
even on Windoze if enjoying any build-problems, a'la OS X ;-)
Apple seems to provide on sources for the Darwin/OS X C-library,
no binaries, and no instructions/patches for compiling the
binutils sources on other hosts than OS X...

Cheers, Kai