Fwd: GCC 3.1 linux-to-mingw32 near success but still some questions remain ;-)

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@luukku.com
Fri Jul 19 01:43:00 GMT 2002

First I apologize sending the 'ld.zip' onto this list, trying
different email program as earlier seems to cause serious mistakes...

I wrote:

>  Don't know which is the latest 'acid-tested' binutils-version for
> Win32, but I would expect the official '2.11.2' being near it...

 Although I now have binutils-2.11 built for Mingw host/target,
trying 2.11.2 caused a crash during the build with '_pe_bfd_'-
something being undefined... Didn't find easily the reason...

> Those who must build the binutils from src, must first
> investigate which sources should work...

 Or try to find out this info from the Mingw-maillist messages.
I built the binutils-020716 for Linux/glibc-2.1.3 and Mingw/msvcrt-
hosts using gcc-3.1.1-20020715 and the Windoze-hosted ones seemed
to be unusable... A rebuild using gcc-2.95.3 make the executables
being bigger but working.  So the toolchain is a little tricky...
Somewhere there should be the "Build Your Own Linux-hosted and
Mingw-targeted Cross-toolchain"-instructions, available via the
'http://www.mingw.org'...

 Although updating to '20020716', I didn't remove my older
'200204xx'-something tools, and these old tools were used with
ten or more builds to Windoze and no serious problems were found.
But still some 'acid tested' binutils-version for Win32-target
should exist. If that could be some of the official FSF-releases,
that could be nice...

 The SourceForge Mingw-site keeping some weird '2.12.x.y.z' binutils
instead of patches to some official FSF release (if necessary) or to
some official (stable?) binutils snapshots, makes the situation more
fragmented... Basically one would like to use one sources for as many
targets as possible, not separate sources for every possible target.
But usually this cannot be avoided.

Cheers, Kai