Fwd: GCC 3.1 linux-to-mingw32 near success but still some questions remain ;-)

Pieter Thysebaert pieter.thysebaert@intec.rug.ac.be
Wed Jul 17 01:58:00 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 10:06, Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Pieter Thysebaert <pieter.thysebaert@intec.rug.ac.be> wrote:
> > Ok, I've solved most problems myself:
> >

> > 2) configure enabled long-long IO support....but strtoull and strtoll are
> > nowhere on my system, so re-doing the last step with --disable-long-long
> > worked fine!
> >     Why is this not detected during the configure pass?
>
>  Did you install the Mingw-patches for gcc-3.1.x ?  Don't remember any
> problems with these...

Sorry, I haven't installed any patches(I haven't really looked at whether
such patches exist, either)
What's the reason that one would have to apply "external" patches to the gcc
source tree?

> > 3) Why did I have to patch the ld/pe-dll.c file?
>
>  The specific binutils sources you have are aimed for the single-eyed
> 'Windoze-host & Windoze-target' builds with 'msys', 'cygwin' etc., not
> for generic builds on a Unix-compatible system with 'strncasecmp()'
> (glibc or libiberty or something) instead of 'stricmp()'...
>
>  Patching the '$build/libiberty/config.h' for something related to this,
> is one possibility... When cross-building all those 'single-eyeness'
> features in the GNU sources will arise... Believe me or not, but
> RedHat seems to think that people prefer to use Cygwin when
> building GNU stuff for Windoze, not their Linux... And the Mingw-
> people think that everyone prefers Windoze with msys as the best
> 'Unix' for any builds... And these Windoze-nerds seem to rule the
> GNU world now...

So no easy configure; make; make install on every platform just yet I guess...

For now, I've dropped the idea of building native mingw tools, because I have
discovered a severe problem with my cross compiler when trying to
cross-compile the latest wxWindows sources from CVS:

i686-pc-mingw32-c++ -shared
-Wl,--out-implib,lib/libwx_msw-2.3-i686-pc-mingw32.dll.a -o
lib/libwx_msw-2.3-i686-pc-mingw32.dll  accel.o app.o bitmap.o bmpbuttn.o

<...tons of object files...>

inftrees.o infcodes.o infutil.o inffast.o automtn.o dataobj.o dropsrc.o
droptgt.o oleutils.o uuid.o -Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows  -lm -lrpcrt4
-loleaut32 -lole32 -luuid -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lctl3d32
-ladvapi32 -lwsock32
Creating library file: lib/libwx_msw-2.3-i686-pc-mingw32.dll.a
i686-pc-mingw32-c++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program ld)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [lib/libwx_msw-2.3-i686-pc-mingw32.dll] Error 1

Obviously, there's not much I can do about that, except make sure I have
enough free disk space (600MB) and memory (384 MB)

Would ld give a more "informative"  error message if free memory or so was
the problem?

Or, in other words, does this look like a very severe (misbuild?) problem?

Pieter