Several questions about build a cross-compiler (i686-linux to alpha)

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@luukku.com
Mon Dec 16 04:27:00 GMT 2002

ÉòÓ¢ÕÜ <yzshen@mail.ustc.edu.cn> wrote:

> I want to build a cross-compile (i686-linux to alpha),and I have
> several questions:

 There probably are several 'Linux/Alpha'-targets (RedHat, SuSE,...),
you should use the components for the right one... It may happen that
generic 'alpha-linux-gnu' executables will run on both RedHat and
SuSE and on others too, but it may also happen that they don't...

> 1. I have got:
> 			 gcc-2.95.2,
> 			 binutils-2.9.1,

 These are a little old, gcc-2.95.3 should be the last bugfix release
for gcc-2.95 and this is the preferred one in the 2.95-branch.  And
binutils-2.10 - 2.13 have appeared since the 2.9 branch, the current
release is 'binutils-2.13.1'... The gcc-2.95.3 manual says that at
least binutils-2.11.2 will be required for Alpha...

 Maybe you will need some extra patches for Linux/Alpha with the
2.95-branch and the binutils, and the SuSE, RedHat etc. distributions
will have them...

 I have built some 'generic' Linux/Alpha target toolchains only
in order to see that one can produce these on a cross-host, but
haven't had an opportunity to test the produced code (with them)
on a 'real-world' Linux/Alpha system... I have gcc-2.95.3, 3.0.4
and 3.1.1 built with glibc-2.2.3, the first toolchain built from
scratch, but as Heinlein instructs: "When at last you do succeed,
never do it again!", so using prebuilt stuff in the bootstrap-
stage is the easy way...

> the include files I get from the source files which are used to install
> linux on alpha machine,
> 	 glibc-2.0.1.bin.alpha-linux.
> Are there any more files that I need to get??

 You should prefer to use headers and libraries for your real target,
For instance RedHat or SuSE 7.1/Alpha uses 'glibc-2.2.3' and even
RedHat 6.2/Alpha used glibc-2.1.3...  But if your target(s) really is
(are) Linux/Alpha(s) which has/have not been upgraded after
the installation a couple of years ago, then this glibc can be just
the right one...

> 2. Where can I get the file: libgcc1.a and libgcc1.cross mentioned
> in gcc-2.95.2/gcc/Makefile, or How can I make them??

 The built 'xgcc', 'cpp', 'cc1' etc. should be capable to compile
these on the cross-host, if not, you can always copy them from the
equivalent (gcc-2.9x) native GCC for Linux/Alpha (them being built
on the native Linux/Alpha).

Cheers, Kai