mcore-elf was Re: GNU/Cross Tools RPMs available

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Thu Dec 12 06:39:00 GMT 2002

Nick, I am cc'ing you because you are the mcore maintainer
and probably have something to say.

Brian LaPonsey wrote:

> Joel,
>
> I have been working on building gnu-cross tools for mcore-elf, but I don't
> have an effective way to distribute them.  Our company web site isn't really
> set up for this kind of thing, and I've had trouble getting the tools posted
> there with the right filenames, without licensing restrictions, etc.

Sometimes being small has its advantages. :)  Most of the time, it means
that you are fighting limited resource problems though.

> I see you have binutils and gdb for mcore-elf, but not an mcore-elf-gcc.  I
> have written a build script that builds all the tools and runs the test
> suite on the FSF's "plain vanilla" gcc source tree, and I have found that
> gcc-3.0.4 has far fewer unexpected failures than gcc-3.2.1 for the mcore-elf
> target (147 vs. 241).  In contrast, the test results for powerpc-eabi are
> something like 19 unexpected failures.  The test suite is run with the
> simulator as a target.

I intend to start running the test suite on the installed tools as the
next
step.  Are you running it in the build tree or on installed images?

Comments on possible solutions below.

> Would it be possible for OARcorp to distribute a pre-built gcc-3.0.4 for
> mcore-elf, or are you committed to only distributing the latest versions?
> It would be a real help to have a web site where people could get free mcore
> tools, but I don't really want to distribute an mcore-elf-gcc-3.2.1 if it
> has problems.

First, I am not doing this as a paid venture.  So please color my
comments with
that. :)

OAR would be happy to put them up but I do not think it is anyone's long
term
best interests to distribute old tools.  From my GCC and RTEMS
experiences,
I can tell you for a fact that no one likes to pay attention to bug
reports
on older versions.  Recently an effort was made on GCC to verify a lot
of
older bug reports and close them if they could not be confirmed on the
current release or CVS tree.

One of my goals was to encourage the use of current tools and provide a
focal
point for getting patches into the main gcc source tree.  Releases are
much more frequent now and there is no reason the cross embedded
community
shouldn't take advantage of that.  We just have to help and be
responsive.

As an aside, I have worked on and off on these RPMs for over a year.
Prior
to gcc 3.2, I could not successfully build enough crosses to justify
releasing them.  I know that for *-rtems targets we couldn't move the
primary targets to gcc 3.x until the 3.1 series and GNU/Cross has been
lower priority to me than the *-rtems targets.

> On the other hand, is it better to work with the gcc-3.2.1 release to get it
> fixed?  This seems (to me) a daunting task, but hopefully there will be help
> available.

I think we are better off trying to help Nick fix them.  Small test
cases
and offering to test are usually the best one can offer the maintainer
unless
you are lucky enough to be able to actually fix it. :)

If you have fixes for 3.0.4 that are not in the current source, then we
need to work with Nick to get them merged.

In the meantime, if you want want to use the specs and build a mcore-elf
3.0.4 RPM, we can talk offline about doing that and putting it on our
site.