Building an xscale cross compiler

Johnathan Davis maxfischer_81@hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 05:39:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I'm currently attempting to build a (gcc3.0.4) cross compiler for Linux on
XScale.  I am trying to build this cross compiler on an x86 Linux machine
running redhat 7.2.  My approach has been the following:

build binutils:
binutils> ../binutils/configure --target=xscale-elf --prefix=/gcc3_install
binutils> make all install

build gcc
gcc3_build> ../gcc304/configure --target=xscale-elf --prefix=/gcc3_install
gcc3_build> make all install

This invariably results in the following error:

checking whether the C compiler (/gcc3_build/gcc/xgcc -B/gcc3_build/gcc/
-B/gcc3_install/xscale-elf/bin/ -B/gcc3_install/xscale-elf/lib/ -isystem
/gcc3_install/xscale-elf/include -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
make: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1

So I guess its trying to execute a binary called 'xgcc' that is unable to
execute on an x86 machine.  But isn't this exactly the whole point of
building a cross compiler?  i.e., build a compiler that runs on machine
architecture X that generates code for machine architecture Y.

What am I missing/failing to configure correctly?

thanks

-j