Cygwin takes *forever* to run gcc's configure!

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Thu Aug 15 08:58:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

The Norton AntiVirus controls offer you a direct and "sanctioned" way to
disable or suspend virus checking without resort to subterfuge such as
invoking the debugger (assuming you have it installed, that is--is that
option even available if you don't have a debugger installed on your
system? I don't think so, but I'm not going to uninstall Visual C++ just to
find out...).

Personally, I don't enable my Norton Anti-Virus for continual monitoring. I
only use it on demand, either to make a full sweep (on rare occasions) or
when I receive a file that I find suspicious. I've never had an active
infection and only rarely have I ever discovered a virus in the first
place. Discounting the obvious ones, I could (if my memory were perfect)
almost certainly count on one hand the number of times I found a virus when
I wasn't already expecting one.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA