advise on compilers for busybox

Joel Coltoff joel@wmi.com
Thu Aug 1 06:46:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm cross posting to these two lists because my questions are related.
I need some advise on build compilers to use with busybox. My target
is a mipsel system. I'm developing on a Redhat system using a download
from sgi of toolchain-mipsel-20020525-1 for the 2.4.18 kernel and
gcc 3.1 with uClibc for the tools. I'll try and keep this brief before
I get to my questions. This all works and there should be much rejoicing.
However, if I want to compile busybox using libc I need to use our
compiler from Embedix and its libraries (2.2.1). The busybox init starts
if I use the sgi compiler but dies as soon as it prints "init started".
If I compile with the Embedix but use the sgi libraries (2.2.5) it works
ok. I haven't done extensive testing but can login and at least run
some programs.

Now to the questions.

What compilers do mipsel users use that work with both the kernel and
busybox when using libc? It could simply be that I've got something
misplaced when I try and use the sgi compiler. After all I'm working
with three different compilers and I've got to shuffle a bunch of files
around. I may have missed something. I did notice that the sgi compiler
creates mips2 executables and the others are mips1. I tried adding -mips1
to the command line but it didn't make a difference. The intermediate
objects are always mips1. My processor is an IDT32355.

The other question has to with building a native compiler for my
system. I've got uClibc running as a cross compiler on my development
machine. Now I'd like to use it to compile itself so I can run it
from my MIPS. Has anyone gone down this road before? Can you provide
a URL that will walk me through the process?

One last question on something I'm curious about. Some configure
scripts recognize mipsel-uclinx as a target but uClibc installs
itself as mipsel-uclibc. Why is this?

Thanks for your indulgence.

--
Joel Coltoff

The Sun, with all the planets revolving around it, and depending on
it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as though it had nothing else in
the Universe to do.
    --Galileo Galilei