gcc-3.0.4, powerpc

Vermeulen Jan Jan.Vermeulen@siemens.atea.be
Mon Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2002

Hello Josep,

>  I'm new at this, but I read the FAQ and all that, and I hope
> I'm not posting a typical newbie problem (if so, apologize in
> advance, and let me know), here we go:

Welcome to the exciting(?) world of crosscompiling ;)

>   First:
> 	how can I know which "targets" I can compile a
> cross-compiler for?
> 	Where can I find a complete list?

Use the web Luke !

The targets are all explained on the following page
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.0.3/gcc_3.html#SEC3

(search for "Hardware Models and Configurations")

>   Second (and most important for me):
> 	I'm trying to make a cross-compiler for powerpc, in a
> Linux RedHat 7.2 host (standard distribution, no add-ons, etc).
> 	I followed the order explained in the FAQ, so I
> compiled successfully binutils, at least I hope, and they
> seem to run, but I don't know how to be sure.

Well, your libiberty problem is a common one.
Which FAQ did you follow?

I managed to build a C, C++ compiler with Newlib (also on RH7.2) using
Bill's FAQ which can be found here:
(the libibery problem is explained there)
http://crossgcc.billgatliff.com/

A small note: 3.0.4 is getting more stable, but 2.95.3 is a proven
sollution.
I like the new optimisation tricks of the 3.x series, as well as new C++
features. And I like to tinker with it from time to time.
But when I make new commercial firmware for a board, I'm still using 2.95.3
until the 3.x branch is considered stable enough.

Let us know if it worked for you.

Best regards,
Jan