i686 -> powerpc gcc 2.95.3 trouble

Cameron, Steve Steve.Cameron@COMPAQ.com
Thu Apr 25 13:49:00 GMT 2002

I wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with a gcc 2.95.3 cross
> compiler I built for powerpc (405GP "walnut" in
> this case)

Hmm.  The problem appears to be related to floating
point operations.  I was doing something along the
lines of:

	long totalsize;
	totalsize = (long) (x / 512.0);

	my_func(x,y,z, totalsize);

It actually was blowing up in the assignment, but
I fooled myself because, a) originally, the calculation
was inline in the function call, I put in totalsize
thinking maybe the calculation was the problem, then
on taking out totalsize from the function call,
the problem went away.

But that was only because taking out totalsize from
the function call caused the optimizer to take out
the floating point stuff too.

naturally, the innocent looking stuff is the problem.

Also explains why the kernel compile
works, there's no floating point in there.

Thanks.

-- steve