Newlib-1.9.0 doesn't build for PPC (target libsim.a)

David Korn dkorn@pixelpower.com
Wed Oct 17 10:47:00 GMT 2001

  Hi Philippe!

>The point is that ar needs, when building libsim.a in
>directory rs6000 (for
>target libsim.a - coming from target libgloss), a file called
>fstat.o. But
>doesn't find it in directory
><...>/powerpc-elf/libgloss/rs6000. A simple
>find shows a file called by the same name in directory
><...>/powerpc-elf/nof/libgloss/libnosys.

>(and $target=powerpc-elf and $prefix=<always_same_path>)

  As Kai discovered earlier, powerpc-elf means SysV - a variety of desktop
Unix workstation - not a bare board.  You *must* use powerpc-eabi for the
embedded system you wish to use.  If I understand correctly (which is not
sure!), powerpc-eabi will use libnosys nstead of libsim, and your problem
should go away.

>5. Maybe there some reading out there explaining in more detail all
>different targets (and what they're doing), especially for powerpc ?

  powerpc-eabi is the one for bare boards.  powerpc-elf is either the wrong
name for what it does, or does the wrong thing for what it's called!
powerpc-linux and powerpc-vxworks also exist, but are not important right
now!

>6. (lowest prio question, but I just'd like to know this) what's the
>interrelation between (in building the bootstrap gcc)
>--with-newlib and --without-headers ? Looks to me, in my
>'mental model' (for
>what it's worth :), as if these are redundant, although I fear
>they aren't,

  I think that --with-newlib is *similar* to --without-headers, but also
has the effect of causing the function 'eprintf' not to be compiled in
libgcc because it's available in newlib instead.  Or something like that :)

        DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com