Installing a cross compiler

Joel Sherrill joel@OARcorp.com
Tue Oct 30 06:47:00 GMT 2001

J-C Louis wrote:

> Since two weeks, I try to install a cross-compiler but there
> are still erros in the compilation.
>
> I'm building Gcc on a Red hat 7.1 system, Gcc (2.96 version) is
> already installed with the distribution
> and I would configure Gcc for solaris on the same computer.
>
> I recapitulate my compilation :
>
> First, I configure and build binutils :
>
>     export TARGET=sparc-sun-solaris2.8
>     export PREFIX=/opt/i686-pc-linux-gnu/${TARGET}
>     export PATH=$PATH:${PREFIX}/bin
>
>     configure --target=${TARGET} --prefix=${PREFIX}
>     make all install
>
> Then, I configure Gcc (2.95.3 version) :
>
>     configure --target=${TARGET} --prefix=${PREFIX}
>         --without-headers --with-newlib
>     make all-gcc install-gcc
>
> The compilation failed. Here is the error message :
>
>     In file included from gthr-default.h:1,
>                               from gthr.h:98,
>                               from ./libgcc2.c:3034:
>     gthr-posix.h:37: pthread.h: No such file or directory
>
> libgcc2 will be built without needing "gthr" (gnu pthreads)
> So I add the option -D__gthr_posix_h and -Dinhibit_libc to
> TARGET_LIBGCC2_CFLAGS in the file :
>     ..gcc2.95.3/gcc/config/sparc/t-sol2
>
> After that, there is another error in my compilation :
>
>     ./frame.c:57: parse error before `object_mutex'
>     ./frame.c:57: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
>     make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
>
> What does that mean ?
> I try to compile with another target (arm-elf ) and the compilation
> don't failed but with the target Sparc-sun-solaris2.*, there are
> problems
> I don't understand.

I would be suspicious of using newlib to target Solaris.  Newlib is
normally used on embedded systems and cygwin.

There should be instructions at gcc.gnu.org or in the crossgcc
faq on something similar to this.  You will need probably need
to collect the Solaris include files and its libc.a in order to
get this to work.

glibc might be an option but I do not know offhand if it supports
Solaris.

> Any help will be very appreciated.
>
> Jean-Christophe.
>
> ------