Program Relocation

Dennis Tubbs dehotu@hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:37:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

In the past I have created applications which are downloaded to an embedded
processor with S records and the applications are immediately put into RAM
and executed.  Recently I was forced to find a new embedded computer to run
the applications on.  Enough on the background.

The new board has flash memory available.  To eliminate the process of
downloading a program everytime the board is powered up I would like to
store the program in flash and copy it to ram for execution (I need every
bit of speed I can get).  My initial thought was to save the S records in
flash and then extract the program to ram but as I was going though the
linker documentation I saw the 'AT' keyword and thought it might allow me to
link a program to be initially stored in one location (flash) and then later
relocated to another (ram) for execution.

The restrictions are I must use S records to get the program and there is no
operating system the application runs on.

Am I thinking correctly on this or have I completely missed the boat?

Thanks,
Dennis