arm-aout vs arm-elf

Quality Quorum qqi@world.std.com
Mon Oct 15 07:26:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Philip Blundell wrote:

> >If I do  xxxxx/confiugre --target=arm-elf ...,  I will get apcs-32,
> >correct settings of cpp defaults and properly configured multilib.
> >
> >If I do xxxx/configure --target=arm-aout ..., I will get apcs-26,
> >hardlfoat default for cpp and no multilib, BTW it will happen regardless
> >of `with-cpu' settings.
> >
> >I do not think that this is desired outcome.
>
> Why not?  Those two targets are not supposed to be in any way identical.
>
> The arm-aout target has existed since the beginning of time, and its default
> options were appropriate to the time it was created.  On the other hand,
> arm-elf is much newer and its default options reflect that.

I do not think that this is acceptable, difference between aout and
elf should be in output file format only - at least it has to be a big
warning about these problems printed by configure.

BTW, is it possible to configure arm-aout for apcs-32/soft-float by
providing --with-xxxx parameters to configure ?

> p.

Thanks,

Aleksey