Newlib-1.9.0 doesn't build for PPC (target libsim.a)

Bertin, Philippe philippe.bertin@barco.com
Tue Nov 20 03:27:00 GMT 2001

Hi all,

After digging into Bill Gatliff's FAQ and tediously executing what's said in
there for building my cross-compiler, I came up to the point of having built
what Bill calls the "bootstrap gcc". So now I'm at the point of building the
library (newlib-1.9.0, see further). But I run into problems ...

The point is that ar needs, when building libsim.a in directory rs6000 (for
target libsim.a - coming from target libgloss), a file called fstat.o. But
doesn't find it in directory <...>/powerpc-elf/libgloss/rs6000. A simple
find shows a file called by the same name in directory
<...>/powerpc-elf/nof/libgloss/libnosys.

I have several questions :
1. Do I need this libsim.a ?
2. If yes, what does it do, and
3. Can I safely use that fstat.o from libnosys ?
4. If yes on question 3, several other files are missing, can I also copy
these over (or is there a better way than copying over the missing files ?)
5. Maybe there some reading out there explaining in more detail all
different targets (and what they're doing), especially for powerpc ?
6. (lowest prio question, but I just'd like to know this) what's the
interrelation between (in building the bootstrap gcc)
--with-newlib and --without-headers ? Looks to me, in my 'mental model' (for
what it's worth :), as if these are redundant, although I fear they aren't,
at the same time not "feeling" the difference, giving me the rather
unpleasant feeling I'm doing something I don't completely understand ...
Bill's FAQ didn't make my light burning (completely) on this issue ...

My configuration is :
binutils-2.10.1 (make all install)
gcc-2.95.3 (configured --with-newlib --without-headers   and   make all-gcc
install-gcc)
newlib-1.9.0
(and $target=powerpc-elf and $prefix=<always_same_path>)

Thanks in advance for helping me out,

Regards,

Philippe Bertin.

extract of the last output lines :

make[2]: Entering directory
`/data/users/phbe/cross/newlib-1.9.0/powerpc-elf/libgloss/rs6000'
powerpc-elf-ar rv libsim.a sim-print.o sim-inbyte.o sim-sbrk.o sim-abort.o
sim-errno.o simulator.o fstat.o getpid.o isatty.o kill.o putnum.o stat.o
unlink.o mcount.o
a - sim-print.o
a - sim-inbyte.o
a - sim-sbrk.o
a - sim-abort.o
a - sim-errno.o
a - simulator.o
powerpc-elf-ar: fstat.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libsim.a] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/data/users/phbe/cross/newlib-1.9.0/powerpc-elf/libgloss/rs6000'
make[1]: *** [stmp-bsp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/data/users/phbe/cross/newlib-1.9.0/powerpc-elf/libgloss'
make: *** [all-target-libgloss] Error 2