newbie woes, was RE: cygwin arm-elf-linux gcc build failure

John Andrews john@triscend.com
Sat Mar 24 15:55:00 GMT 2001

Hi Keith et al,

I don't think its the newlib name that makes this hard. A newlib by any
other name would still be the same beast (at least it has the --with-newlib
config option going for it).

What makes this hard is the undocumented knowledge of the ages required to
make a cross-gcc from source. You can't exactly buy an O'Reilly book on the
subject. The seers that have helped me (and a lot of others) here on this
list carry this knowledge in their heads. There are a lot of good web sites
(see previously referenced seers), but each is typically specific to a
certain target or patch, and sometimes they contradict each other. The FAQ
tries to cover the subject in general but it doesn't really get to the nitty
gritty details of run-time libraries and os headers. Since you can't build a
cross gcc without this stuff, it seems like a detailed discussion of it
would be a valuable addition.

I haven't tried to calculate a percentage from the archives, but a good part
of the traffic on this list has to do with newbies begging help on getting
their headers in the right place.

For me, I'll endeavor to persevere. Even though I haven't gotten my
arm-elf-linux-gcc yet, I've learned a hell of a lot, and there's still a lot
more to learn.

Sorry for the OT rant.

Thanks again for all of the help from everyone on this list...

John E. A.

BTW two other minimal embedded C libs:

The mmu-less embedded flavor of Linux known as uClinux typically works in
conjunction with uClibc:
http://cvs.uclinux.org/uClibc.html

Another lib intended to support small footprint embedded linux is dietlibc:
http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/