porting existing HP-UX to Linux

Steve deRosier sderosier@vari-lite.com
Fri Mar 23 08:26:00 GMT 2001

Jan,

I recently had a project where we were moving code done with the MRI tools
to the GNU tools.  We have custom boards all using the 68k and Coldfire
series chips.  Our pilot project was only done on boards with the 68332
chips, but this may have some value to you. The emulators we use are also HP
Emulator series 64700.  I never tried to get GDB working with it, but we use
the HP graphical debugger/emulator interface with it, running on a HP
workstation.  Anyway, a reprint of an earlier answer by me:

> I've had similar problems with trying to get debug info showing up using my
> HP emulator with an IEEE format.  Basically this is a problem of gcc not
> retaining file names and paths.  Try looking at a previous series of emails
> to the cross gcc list:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/
> search on:  crossgcc+debug+with+HP+emulator
>
> Apply the patch that was so helpfully provided.  Also, I created another
> patch which provides the full path if necessary using a new switch
> -fkeep-full-file-path.  This was never submitted (I just considered it an
> unoffical hack that works for me....), but you might find it useful, so I
> have attached it.
>
> This caused some other problems (a segfault bug) with objcopy and if you
> run into similar problems try:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-01/msg00306.html   (I think this
> is the first of the thread, but you are looking for anything in the
> "binutils/stabs.c fixes" thread.)

This may help you get up and running at least with the HP software for your
emulator.  Don't know if this helps, but...

Good luck,
- Steve