gethostbyname

David Milburn dmilburn@redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 08:58:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

I have an embedded ARM application that is linked with libnss_files.so,
libnss_dns.so, and libresolv.so. This application uses gethostbyname() to
resolve names in /etc/hosts or through DNS. If gethostbyname() is called for
a name that the name server cannot resolve, it appears that gethostbyname()
retries several times before it returns to the embedded application.

Is the number of retries configurable?

I am using glibc 2.1.3, can you recommend any specific code that I should be
looking at in the resolv directory to help understand exactly what is
happening?

Thank you,
David