xscale with gcc 3.0

James Hatch james@autonomoussolutions.com
Thu Jun 21 14:40:00 GMT 2001

Title: xscale with gcc 3.0

According to the file "README-2.11.1"
at ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/binutils
binutils 2.11.1 is INCOMPLETE.
Try 2.11.2, it's there.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From:
  MEDBERRY,DAVID (A-Loveland,ex1)
  To: 'Vermeulen Jan' ; 'CrossGCC'
  Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 1:41
  PM
  Subject: RE: xscale with gcc 3.0

  (Actually:

  $PREFIX/bin/powerpc-linux-as
  $PREFIX/bin/powerpc-linux-ld
  $PREFIX/bin/powerpc-linux-gasp

  were
  created.)

    -----Original Message----- From: MEDBERRY,DAVID
    (A-Loveland,ex1) [ mailto:david_medberry@agilent.com ] Sent:
    Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:25 AM To: 'Vermeulen Jan';
    'CrossGCC' Subject: RE: xscale with gcc 3.0
    Jan,

    have just epxerienced the same binutils behavior when making an hpux cross
    powerpc-linux binutils package:
    as
    ld
    gasp

    were the only bin's built. binutils version 2.11.1 (straight from ftp.gnu.org ).

    No
    error was reported in the process. I am considering backing down to 2.10 and
    trying again....

    haven't found any tips or tricks anywhere on the net to avoid
    this....

    -dave

      -----Original Message----- From: Vermeulen Jan
      [mailto:Jan.Vermeulen@siemens.atea.be] Sent: Thursday, June 21,
      2001 2:58 AM To: 'CrossGCC' Subject: xscale with gcc
      3.0
      Hi there,
      I am trying to build a crossgcc for xscale now with the
      gcc 3.0, as it is said it is now supported. My
      platform is linux (2.4.3) Binutils builds without
      errors, but seems only to make the 'as', 'gasp' and 'ld'. Nothing
      else.
      So when i try to build the (core) gcc-3.0 part of the
      toolchain, it fails : make[2]: xscale-elf-ar:
      Command not found make[2]: *** [libgcc.a] Error
      127 make[2]: Leaving directory
      `/home/jan/newbuild/gcc/gcc' make[1]: ***
      [stmp-multilib] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory
      `/home/jan/newbuild/gcc/gcc' make: *** [all-gcc]
      Error 2
      Same with "xscale-coff" configuration. (i am following the cross-build script from Bill).
      Now what's the story with xscale ? Is it fully supported
      or only a simpel assembler/linker? I know I can
      make a cross-gcc by configuring for arm-elf (would arm-coff work too?),
      but i don't understand why xscale-elf can't work
      if arm-elf does...
      Thanks if you are able to clarify the confusion :)
      Jan