How to build gdb and gdbserver

Yves Rutschle y.rutschle@indigovision.com
Wed Jun 20 01:27:00 GMT 2001

Hi Peter,

[build gdbserver]
> So next I tried creating it using the configuration from
> build-crossgcc.sh:
>
> cd ..
> mkdir ppc-gdb
> cd ppc-gdb
> ../gdb-5.0/configure --target=powerpc-linux
> --prefix=/usr/local/wave/cross-linux-tools
> make
> pushd gdb/gdbserver
> make
> popd

You can't use that configuration; GDB is not actually
cross-compiled, as it *only* runs on your host, and the build
process doesn't handle using cross-compilers for gdbserver.

IIRC, the idea is simply to compile gdbserver separately as a
normal cross-compiled program (CC=powerpc-linux-gcc, make, and
it should work if it doesn't need any specific patches...)

HTH,
Yves