m68k cygwin on NT (again)

David Korn dkorn@pixelpower.com
Fri Jun 1 02:41:00 GMT 2001

   Hi Jan,

>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/src/m68kgcc/gcc/intl'
>./genattr ../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/config/m68k/m68k.md > tmp-attr.h
>.  At file position: 139ound character
>Following characters are:

  This is a mangled error message; what it's actually trying to say is
something along the lines of

"error: <filename>: found character <CR>.  At file position: 139",
but when it prints the CR it does so literally and the second part of the
message has overwritten the first!

  This happens a lot in cygwin, owing to the DOS-vs-Unix line end problems.
You can either run a dos2unix utility over all the source code after you
unpack it, or you can make a textmode mountpoint for the directory where
it's unpacked and reference it through that mountpoint.

>After that, i go on with GCC itself :
>
>(~/src/m68kbinutils)$ cd ../m68kgcc
>(~/src/m68kgcc)$ ../gcc-2.95.3/configure --target=m68k-coff
>--enable-languages=c,c++

  So after the cd ../m68kgcc, you want to try something like

    mkdir /gcc-src
    mount -t `cygpath ../gcc-2.95.3/` /gcc-src

And then use /gcc-src/ as the path to your configure command:

>1) configure --target=m68k-coff --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-newlib
>--with-included-gettext --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
>2) the same, but first do a "mv -i texinfo old.texinfo" in the gcc-source
>directory.

  You definitely need *all* of this.  The "--with-included-gettext" and the
"mv -i texinfo old.texinfo" only make sense if you do them both together in
any case, and the "--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib" are all true,
so you should use a command like

/gcc-src/configure --target=m68k-coff --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-newlib
--with-included-gettext --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld

  That should get things started for you.  Let us know how it goes.

        DaveK
--
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com