[Fwd: dwarf2 in GNU assembler 2.10.1]

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Feb 21 10:10:00 GMT 2001

Hi Yookyung

> I got your e-mail address from
> "ChangeLog" file in GNU assembler 2.10.1 and
> noticed that you added "--gdwarf2" option to the option list.

Unfortunately that was for the ARM port of GAS and not the MIPS
port...

> (The host is solaris and the target is mips).

The MIPS port of GAS does not currently support generating dwarf2
debug information.

It should not prove to be too difficult however, to add this support
yourself, should you be willing to modify the sources.  Have a look at
how the support works in other ports.  (Just search for occurrences of
dwarf2 in any of the gas/config/tc-*.c files).

In theory all that you need to do is to amend gas/config/tc-mips.c to
#include "dwarf2dbg.h".  Then add entries for the "loc" and "file"
pseudo ops to the mips_pseudo_table[] array, and then arrange for
dwarf2_emit_insn() to be called each time an assembled instruction is
emitted.

> Another question is that, even if I produced with STABS debugging
> information like as --gstabs -o foo.o foo.s it seemed the generated
> object file contains stabs information not in the (expected)
> sections like .stab .stabstr but in the "larger" .mdebug section

Yes.  The MIPS port uses the MDEBUG format rather than STABS.

Cheers
        Nick