How to re-configure

David Korn dkorn@pixelpower.com
Fri Aug 24 02:52:00 GMT 2001

>Hi all,
>
> By misstake I configured binutils at wrong place and now I want to run
>configure script again from another directory.
> When I do that I get the following message:

> Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin32 host.
> *** Cannot configure here in "/build/binutils" when
>"/source/binutils-2.10" is currently configured.
>bash-2.02$
>***************************************
>
>How can I solve this problem?

    Hi Mohammad,

 I haven't seen that error message myself, but I think what it's trying to
tell you is that you ran the configure command in the source directory, and
it's created some auto-generated files in the source tree; if you were to
try and configure in a separate build directory now, it would autogenerate
the needed files in that directory, but then the ones in the main source
tree would override them, so it wouldn't work.  In other words, doing a
configure command in the source directory has modified the source directory
so that when you build it you'll get the configuration you first chose, no
matter what.

  To get it back the way it was before, you could either search the source
tree for any files with a timestamp matching the time when you configured,
and delete them, but probably the quickest simplest and most reliable
solutions would just be to delete the source tree and unpack the binutils
tar.gz again.  I hope you kept it around after you unpacked it the first
time!  If you didn't, then have a go by deleting the recent files that were
created when you ran configure, or download it again if you have a fast
enough net connection for that to be easy.

       DaveK
--
" So far, science's crowning achievement, the Atomic Bomb, has not even
been able to alleviate the misery and torture of endless centuries of

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com