Gcc calling wrong assembler

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 06:36:00 GMT 2001

Grant Edwards wrote:

> If gcc knows that it has to call /usr/local/arm-elf/bin/as, why
> isn't it an error when it's not there?
>
> Falling back to /usr/bin/as doesn't seem like the best thing to
> do. The compiler knows that it's a cross compiler, right?  I
> can't think of any situations where a cross-compiler calling
> /usr/bin/as is a very useful thing to do.

Think of it more as adding /usr/local/arm-elf/bin to the start of the PATH
- or more accurately, the search path gcc uses. Try "arm-elf-gcc
-print-search-dirs" to see what I mean. If it fails _everything_ in that
list, it will (in desperation) hope that the user put the correct "as" in
the path, preferably before the native "as" :).

Jifl