trying to make a cygwin target crosscompiler

Kai Ruottu karuottu@freenet.hut.fi
Tue Apr 24 01:05:00 GMT 2001

"Oldno7 (Guillermo Hernandez)" wrote:

> Hi there!.  I've being following this list for a days (trying to see if
> my trouble comes out  and working to resolve it with similar threads)
> but I'm at the end of my knowledges (-few if anyone asks-).

  The maillist archives should have helped, your problem really is
quite common...

> I'm trying to make a cross compiler targeted to a i586-pc-cygwin32.
> The sources from I'm trying to generate the cross compiler are:
> binutils-2.11, gcc-2.95.3,
> newlib-1.9.0 and gdb-5.0

 For the Cygwin target you need to get the Cygwin-runtime, ie the
headers and libraries for it, the 'real stuff', not anything else, so the
newlib-1.9.0 is wrong....

  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/snapshots

 How to collect from the 'latest', I don't remember, but the Cygwin-
pages should tell this...  Also building the Cygwin-libs from the
sources is possible, but is it really necessary?   As always, the sources
are for those who work with the Cygwin-host and its problems, not for
any 'normal' Cygwin-target developer.  You either work to better the
Cygwin-layer or develop apps for the Cygwin host and leave this job
for others...

 The alternative Mingw packages the 'runtime' headers and libs nicely,
so probably the Cygwin too...

>_fixunsdfsi

> In file included from include/limits.h:117,
>                  from include/syslimits.h:7,
>                  from include/limits.h:11,
>                  from ../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/libgcc2.c:1105:
> /usr/home/query/cross/gcc/gcc/include/limits.h:117: limits.h: No such
> file or directory
> *** Error code 1

  The Cygwin headers come with the 'limits.h' and the idea is that the
GCC's own 'limits.h' includes this via the 'syslimits.h'. And the #include-
chain should end there...

 Most probably your problem comes from the GIGO-effect but tracking the
limits.h' chain is  always the best approach if the problem continues
after installing the 'right stuff' (the Cygwin-target stuff).   I have met this
problem sometimes and sometimes the problem is that the target system's
own 'limits.h' was never used ("PATH_MAX undefined" or something
telling it...)

Cheers, Kai