ARM uCLinux uc-libc vs. newlib

Dan Carlson decarlson1@juno.com
Fri Jul 14 05:39:00 GMT 2000

Hello Joe, all,

Ok, Well I have switched over to building gcc2.95.2 for the arm-elf target
and have been relatively successful.  I had to apply a patch to arm.h via
the patch file off of the ecos site.  But the bottom line is that it
actually completed building in the cygwin environment.

Now I am ready to test the compiler and created a quick void main(void){ }
type of c program just to try the compiler.  When I compile it it reports
that it can't find crt0.o  I know this get created as a result of building
either newlib or uc-libc .  Which one should I build, and what are the magic
3 or 4 lines needed to build them and make the compiler see the crt0.o
file???

People tell me that I don't want to use newlib because it is too big.

I did notice that if I kick off the uc-libc makefile it starts looking for
linux header files.  I didn't realize I needed linux support build in to the
compiler library for building a void main(void) tiny elf file.

I have appreciated all the help so far from everyone, and I hope someone can
comment on these issues.

Thanks,

Dan