gcc assembler output

Christian Robl christian@qdev.de
Thu Aug 24 01:06:00 GMT 2000

Hello Ken

On 23-Aug-00, you wrote:
>> I'm working on a cross-gcc from i386-linux to coldfire-elfwhich works fine
>> so far but now I want to have "gcc -S" to generate assembler output in
>> the Motorola syntax, so "gas" will work with the -M or -mri option.
>> I haven't found a option for this.
> There is no run-time switch for this, though you could probably hack one in in
> a few hours.
Ok, I'll consider to do so, if all works fine.

>> Which switch in the source hsa to be set therefor?
> The config/m68k*.h file for your target should define MOTOROLA
> The hack would be to add a -m switch, and then modify config/m68k.c to do
> run-time tests in all the places that are now #ifdef MOTOROLA.
Thank you!
I just defined MOTOROLA in the dedicated file and output asm-output changed;
But "gas -mri" rejects the so generated *.s-files, though eats them when given
no option.
The asm-syntax looks now more familiar and so i think - and according to the
info-docs it is gcc-correct.

The error-output looks like that:
test4.s: Assembler messages:
test4.s:1: Error: Unknown operator -- statement `.file "test4.c"' ignored
test4.s:3: Error: Unknown operator -- statement `__main' ignored
test4.s:4: Fatal error: Symbol .text already defined.

What is now wrong? Or does that mean, that I have to process te asm-output
in some way, so that ist is "-mri"-conform?

Btw. is it possible to change the %-notation for registers?
E.g. move.l %d0,%d1  -> move.l d0, d1
I found a define __REGISTER_PREFIX__ in lb1sf68.asm that should do the job,
but (un)defining this the build-process stops and says "__REGISTER_PREFIX__"
redefined (where is it in the gcc-source located too or can I define it with
a "-D" option to gcc at build-time?

Best regards

Christian Robl