broken link for libstdc++.a

Stephane Dalton Stephane.Dalton@abl.ca
Wed Apr 19 13:16:00 GMT 2000

	[Stephane Dalton]  Hi Kai,

>  I remember your target being 'm68k-elf' (or '-coff'), which doesn't
> have a
> default target. But newlib includes support for some target boards and
> has
> the generic 'crt0.o' and the glue libs (with 'read()', 'write()' etc.)
> for
> them. So fix your 'specs' to include any of the supported boards as the
> target, e.g. the IDP one :

	[Stephane Dalton]  I did it... but with bcc instead

> with the extra stuff in egcs and gcc-2.95.x (libiberty, libobjc,
> libstdc++).
	[Stephane Dalton]  Ok lets make everything clear
	target m68k-elf
	binutils 2.9.1 installed
	gcc installed
	g++ installed but missing libstdc++.a

	Here's what I've tried
	I modified my specs file (the one which is used during the
compilation of the compiler not the one which is in /usr/local/lib...
	Results: make is trying to compile the libgcc1-test.c and link it,
but even using the -nostartfiles it seems that the linker fetch the crt0.o
	which is not a good idea because the start symbol is already defined
in libgcc1-test.c but not the main symbol which is required by crt0.o

	I then but pack everything as it was (remove the modification to the
specs file) and now I'm not bothered by this libgcc1-test but the compiler
cannot compile the small test program (because there's no crt0.o...)

	Correct me if I'm wrong but I see no clean way to get out of this
problem, on one side the configure script wants to build this stupid
libgcc1-test program and it seems that at this point the compiler doesn't
recognize the -nostartupfiles and that's probably why there's nothing under
the entry *link in the spec file at this point. On the other side to compile
libiberty and libstdc++ I need a crt0.o and I have it. The only thing I can
try is to hack the configure script to modify the specs file at a given
point.

	And BTW am I the only one trying to compile this thing and having
such amout of problems???