question on setting up a MIPS compiler

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Thu Apr 13 12:17:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Joel Coltoff <joel@wmi.com>

   I've finished (or so I thought) setting up gcc-2.95.2 for a MIPS.
   My particular target is mips64orion-rtems but the I noticed I've
   also got the same problem with a mips64orion-elf I did some time
   back. The problem is that there are no libraries made for "mips3".

   The Makefile in the gcc directory contains

       # Build the libraries for both hard and soft floating point

       MULTILIB_OPTIONS = msoft-float/msingle-float EL/EB mips1/mips3
       MULTILIB_DIRNAMES = soft-float single el eb mips1 mips3
       MULTILIB_MATCHES = msingle-float=m4650

   Obviously something is overriding this. How can I get a mips3 versions
   of the libraries. Also, does the fact that no mips3 libraries are created
   mean they won't be searched for when I do a gcc -mips3?

gcc cunningly avoids building libraries for the default options.  This
cuts down on the number of libraries that must be built.  -mips3 is
the default for mips64orion, so the default versions of the libraries
should work correctly.

This is controlled by MULTILIB_DEFAULTS in the tm.h file.

Ian