Dynamic linking problems with powerpc-linux cross & glibc-2.1.3

Kai Ruottu karuottu@freenet.hut.fi
Mon Apr 3 03:50:00 GMT 2000

Graham Stoney wrote:

> Dynamic linking is causing me grief however, as follows:
> % greyham@brixi% powerpc-linux-gcc hello.c
> /opt/gcc-2.95.2/powerpc-linux/bin/ld: warning: ld.so.1, needed by /opt/ppc.linux/glibc-2.1.3-8xx/lib/libc.so.6, not found (try using --rpath)
> /opt/ppc.linux/glibc-2.1.3-8xx/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_init_next@GLIBC_2.0'
>
> As the warning points out, libc.so.6 can't find ld.so.1. But it's right there
> alongside libc.so.6 in /opt/ppc.linux/glibc-2.1.3-8xx/lib/ld.so.1, where the
> glibc install put it!
>
> Using --rpath also helps, but again this should be unnecessary since the
> compiler frontend is supposed to tell the linker this kind of stuff.

 The '-rpath' is for the run-time case (where to search when running),
while
'-rpath-link' is for the link-time case (where to search when linking).
Please
try it...

----------------- a clip from 'ld --help'
--------------------------------
  --retain-symbols-file FILE  Keep only symbols listed in FILE
  -rpath PATH                 Set runtime shared library search path
  -rpath-link PATH            Set link time shared library search path
  -shared, -Bshareable        Create a shared library

 Perhaps it is a bug that the 'needed by some other' shared libs will
not be
found via those '-L' options GCC gives to 'ld', but '-rpath-link
<libdir>' is
the work-around until the bug has been fixed (or it is just a 'feature'
which
one must know ;-)

Cheers, Kai