linker search directories

Brendan John Simon Brendan.Simon@ctam.com.au
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000

I am trying to build a powerpc-linux cross-compiler from
binutils-2.9.5.0.24, gcc-2.95.2 and glibc-2.1.2 sources.  I first want
to compile and install the native compiler from the above sources.  I
have --prefix=/usr/local/gcc.  The binutils, gcc and glibc compile went
fine.  I can no longer compile simple test program after I install the
glibc files.  I have tracked this down to the linker getting
ld-linux.so.2 from /lib instead of /usr/local/gcc/lib.  I have changed
all the search paths in the linker scripts
(/usr/local/gcc/i586-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ldscripts/*) but I still have the
same problem.  Using the --verbose option with ld, I can see it is using
a "built in" linker script which has /lib in its search path.  I can get
the program to compile and run only if I use
"-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/gcc/lib".

I shouldn't have to do this.  Is there a way of not using the built in
linker script or changing it's default library search paths.  I don't
think setting an environment variable is a very elegant solution (if it
is one).

I can't see anything in the specs file either.  Only the
--dynamic-linker option.  I have actually changed this to
/usr/local/gcc/lib/ld-linux.so.2.

Thanks for any help,
Brendan Simon.